Yesterday I whipped up (or more accurately, food-processed) these brownies (dairy free, gluten free, yadayada).
They are rich, chocolatey, not too sweet, taste a bit of banana, and slice into really visually pleasing rectangular prisms. Make sure to shine a bright light on those right angles if you take your own photos.
At the behest of my excellent mother, here’s the recipe. Feel free to take liberties with fats, sugars, nut butters, or adding neat things like mint and orange oils.
9 x 12 inch pan for thin brownies, 8 x 8 for thicker
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp butter (watch out! Product placement. I used half this vegan butter, and half coconut oil)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2-3 tbsp honey, or your favorite sugar-like substance
- 1.5 cups of your favorite flour (I used 1 cup of almond flour, 1/4 coffee flour, 1/4 flax meal)
- that flax meal is super good for you
- the coffee flour is nutty and strong – this recipe I co-opted claims you can just use coffee flour. I am skeptical. I mean, it only has 2/5 stars.
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- because a blog is a soap box, let me preach here. You try to get that cocoa fair trade. Or else you are supporting child slave labour.
- Who said baking couldn’t be politically sassy?
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond butter
- preheat oven to 350F or 177C ..or 450K
- melt the butter
- put everything (except almond butter) in a food processor and purée it good
- if you don’t have a food processor (looking at you, mom), you’ll have to mash the bananas and mix everything the old fashioned way.
- pour resulting batter into the pan
- licking the batter bowl would taste super good at this point … but you know, I would never do that
- almond butter swirl
- melt the almond butter
- dollop almond butter on various spots in the pan
- use a knife to swirl it through the batter
- bake for about 25min
- check earlier, if your oven isn’t old like mine is
Voila! I hope you enjoyed my very first recipe post. Here’s a pretty song: